14 Nov 2006
This site is still under construction but, in brief, here is what the SEGWGET program will do (once its done :):
- SEGWGET is a command-line "download accelerator" for Linux (should work on other POSIX systems).
- It is meant to speed up downloads by breaking the file up into sections and then asking the server to give it all the sections at once.
- This sounds like hackery and it is BUT it works (makes things download faster - at least on my network).
- There are many commercial and some free (but proprietary) programs that do this already but most are for MS platforms and none (I could find) are free software and none (that I could find) run from the command-line. Hence the present effort.
- SEGWGET is written in C and depends only on the standard libraries and libcurl.
When I have a working version (check back around 22nd Nov 2006) I will provide a link to the SourceForge download area where it will be made available.
If you have questions send them to me on: [[ramon dot nogueira at gee mail dot com]]
Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the SourceForge community but I suspect there is a way for someone to request developer access to the project through the main site. I am more than happy to grant this if you tell me how to do that.